Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Snowflake Wreath for Winter

Every year after I take down my Christmas stuff my house feels so empty.  This year I just had to do something about it.  I decided I was going to make a fun wreath for my door.  After all, snowflakes are Winter, not Christmas.  After rummaging through several after Christmas clearance sales, I finally found some snowflakes that I considered to be wreath worthy.  I found these at Target.  They actually are suppose to be bows for packages, but I decided to make them into a wreath. 

Here is what I bought:
 
 
This stuff was actually the leftover of the leftovers. 
I bought anything that I could find that looked like snow. 
 
Here is what I used:
1 plastic wreath
2 strands of white garland
20 medium sized snowflakes
4 white pine needle bunches
2 white mini pinecone bunches
1 "Let it Snow" gift tag
1 sheet of clear plastic laminate
White snow glitter
1 bow
 
 
 
 
I was going to try to use the blue wreath for the background, but decided that really was not what I was going for.  Then I took off the blue garland and decided that the wreath was just too three dimensional. 
So I cut it apart with pliers.  I cut easily, and it gave me a nice flat circle for the base of my wreath.
I wrapped the white garland around the base, adding the white pine needles as I went.  I tried to space them out evenly, leaving a space at the top because of the bow that would be there.
Then I started hot gluing the snowflakes around.  I tried to make them so that they were not so  perfectly centered so as to be more like a random snowfall.
 
When I was done with the first layer of snowflakes I added the remaining few flakes as a second layer to give it a 3D effect.
I used the two pinecone sprigs on either side of the bow and hot glued them all to the top.
The only thing that I could find with the saying "let it snow" on it was a gift tag, so I decided to just go with it.  Since it was going on my front door, I decided to cover it in a layer of clear plastic laminate.
I used a little white glue to add some white snow glitter at the top of the sign.
And then glued it diagonally to the bottom of the wreath.   I am thrilled with how it turned out. 
 
 
Since we live in the desert, it is kind of fun to still celebrate the winter.  You never know, maybe it just might snow this year?
 
 
 
Looking for another fun wreath idea?  Check out my really popular flip flop wreath by clicking on the picture below:
http://hollyshome-hollyshome.blogspot.com/2012/04/flip-flop-wreath.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment