Thursday, October 10, 2013

Making Family Shirts With Iron On T-Shirt Transfer


Our family was planning a trip to Disneyland.  At the last minute I wanted to get us all matching T-Shirts, but it was too late to have any made.  I have done iron on transfers before but I wasn't sure I wanted to do them again.  I really had no choice if I wanted matching shirts.
Sooooo, I started with the internet and found this wonderful site called Font Space that had so many cool fonts.  They had a selection of Disney fonts that I could use.  Here is the site:
So with my new fonts available to me I went to work.  I used the Walter font, with one of the Mickey Mouse Ears font.  I found a Jack Skellington on the Web, and the pumpkin from my Print Shop Program.  I used my Print Shop Program to put it all together.  Here is what I came up with. 
I managed to get 2 iron on logos per page, plus a logo for the sleeve.  I printed them on Jolees Easy Image transfer paper for dark fabrics.  I tried it first on Avery's and it was a nightmare.  The paper would not come off.  I have not had luck with any of Avery's products.
BE SURE TO PRINT THEM OUT WITHOUT REVERSING THE PATTERN.   Then I hand cut around the logo, then peeled off the back. 
I laid the transfer where I wanted it on the shirt and placed parchment paper over the top.  I have the old fashioned iron that gets really hot, so it didn't take much time at all.   Then I ironed it on.  I also put a transfer onto the sleeve.
Here's an example of the shirt and the sleeve:
On one of the shirts I had ironed it a little too long.  It gave the transfer kind of a worn look, which I really liked.  I went back and did it to all the shirts. 
 Here is how it turned out:
I have since washed and dried the shirts without a problem.  If you really want them to last, you probably shouldn't dry them in the dryer. 

The shirts were a lot of fun to wear.  Here is the gang with our matching shirts:

For Christmas I made some more shirts for my family.  I did basically the same things, but changed it to Christmas.  I think it turned out cute.  Here it is:






 A few years ago my family and I decorated T-Shirts with bleach.  If you would like to see how to do it check it out by clicking on the picture below.


4 comments:

  1. Holly,
    They turned out so cute! You are so creative. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! We had our picture taken in them at Disneyland, but Disneyland lost it. I am so bummed!

      Delete
  2. Wow! They turned out so cute! You definitely have a good hand in making all these DIY shirts that you have. I love your use of that unique font on your Disneyland shirt. I also liked the Christmas design. The Grinch picture was a nice touch. I'm looking forward to your other tshirt projects.

    Tracy Webb

    ReplyDelete