Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Autumn Candy Cornucopias Made from Ice Cream Cones and Candy. Makes a Perfect Autumn Gift!




I have been seeing some cute Thanksgiving cornucopias made from ice cream cone shells.  I think that they are so cute, but all the ones that I have seen have a plastic bag of candy stuck inside them.  I wanted mine to have the candy flowing out of them.  I also didn't like the flat top to the cone.  I like more a a jagged edged top, but they still had the small top, not the wide top on waffle cones.


Here's how to make them:
The cones that I used had a jagged top like this brand:

The cones I bought I found at the 99 cent only store.  
What a bargain!


Make a Thankful banner for your Thanksgiving!

Here's how to curl the bottom of the cone:


I dipped the cone for 20-30 seconds in 2 inches of water.  I also filled the center of the cone with water.  Then I placed the cone on a plate and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Then I wrapped the pointed end around a small marker that I had cleaned off.  You can also use a pencil.  I let them try for about 30 minutes.  I got impatient, so I moved on the next step while they were still wet.




Filling the Cone:
I filled the cone with m&ms.   I left about 3/4 of an inch at the top.
I put a thin layer of melting chocolate over the m&ms to 
hold them in.
 I placed the cones in a cup.  This helps to hold the curl at the bottom of the cone and to allow the chocolate to cool.
After the chocolate was cooled I laid the cone on a piece of parchment.  I put a small puddle of chocolate inside the cone with the chocolate spilling out of the cone.  


Then I placed the autumn candy mix into the chocolate. 






 Here's a picture of my daughter and niece helping me.

After the first layer of candy was place in the chocolate,  I added another layer of candy on top of it.  I found the easiest way to layer was to dip the candy into the chocolate and place it on top.  I also looked for empty spots and stuck pieces of candy into it.
When I was all finished I added a placecard on it.
I have several different placecards that you can print out. 


If you are looking for more great ideas from HollysHome Check out my Crazy for Candy Corn!  It has more than fifty fun ideas for the Autumn season.









4 comments: