Thursday, May 17, 2012

Father's Day Bread and Butter Pickles with Printout


This would make a great family project.  It is easy to do, plus the kids will get a kick of learning how to make pickles.  You could even put them on your Father's Day hamburgers!


My father loves bread and butter pickles, so when I saw a recipe on Pinterest I thought it would be a great idea to make him a batch.  It looked easy, and it was, BUT shopping for the smaller cucumbers and the mustard seed wasn't as easy as I thought.  With the help of a few friends, I was able to locate the items.  Food-4-less sells the smaller cucumbers.  Vons (and I heard Smiths) has the mustard seed.  Shame on Wal-mart and Winco for not carrying those items.


I followed the recipe, but was worried that they might not be sweet enough (you know those health nuts are always afraid of sugar) so I added a bit more sugar. I also substituted the pickling cucumbers for Persian Cucumbers because they are smaller.  Here is how I did it:


First slice them up. I like the wavy patterns on mine:

Then pour on the Kosher salt and put in the fridge for one hour:

Then rinse off the cucumbers and add the sliced onions.


Then follow the recipe to make the pickling sauce:


Pour the vinegar sauce over the top:

Let cool for one hour before storing in the fridge.


Put the pickles in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. They should last about two weeks:


And here's my dad with his homemade jar of of pickles:

Here is my altered recipe:


Father's Day Bread and butter pickles





My friends and family tell me that they love them.  
My dad really loved them!

I just want to give a shout out to the original Bread and Butter Pickle recipe.  Here is where you can find ithttp://www.recipegirl.com/2011/07/20/bread-and-butter-pickles/

Here is a printable to make for your Father's Day Bread and Butter Pickles.  


I also have a cute Father's Day card that you can make:

AND

I also have a cute Father's Day poem:


No comments:

Post a Comment